Siniard, Timberlake, & League attorney consultations are provided at no cost and are used to learn more about your background, the facts of your injury, and the impact of your injury on your home and work life. All of the information we collect is confidential. In the event you are unable to visit our office, consultations may be conducted via phone, or we may be able to make arrangements to come see you.
To help you feel comfortable and confident in preparing to talk to us, here’s what you can expect.
1. Collection of demographic/biographical information: In order to best understand your background and specific needs, we will ask questions regarding your age, profession, marital status, family, and recreational activities. Essentially, we want to learn as much about your life and lifestyle as possible as this information can be very important when evaluating your claim.
As each person has unique personal and professional obligations, any attempt to identify losses from an injury should take those factors into consideration. Any questions we ask will be used to help you receive those benefits to which you are entitled.
2. Recounting of the incident: During the consultation, you’ll also be asked to explain what you were doing before the incident in which you were injured, what happened during the incident, and what you experience thereafter. We will ask that you provide names of all other parties involved, as well as any witnesses that you may have encountered. If you’re able, we’ll have you recall conversations you may have had at the scene. That might include conversations with whoever caused the incident, with your own friends and family, witnesses, first responders, and/or other medical providers.
If you have photos that document the incident or your injuries, we will ask that you share those with us.
3. List of injuries, lost wages, and medical expenses: You’ll be asked to explain, as much as you are able, the extent of your injuries, treatment, expected recovery times, and potential follow up treatments. If you have suffered any loss of wages or incurred medicals costs, we will request that information, as well. We will inquire about your current medical insurance coverage, including co-pays and deductibles, and any other supplemental insurance.
It will also be helpful to hear about any immediate life disruptions that occurred as a result of your accident and injury. If your injuries required time away from work, we’ll need to know for how long, the extent of the loss of income suffered, and the effect on your ability to maintain your household.
4. Explanation of the process: Many of our clients have never talked with a lawyer and have not had any experience with any legal process prior to contacting us for an initial consultation. That’s not a problem. We will explain what you can expect each step of the way and try to provide a general estimate of how much time will be spent in each phase. We’ll also explain, in plain language, legal terms and references that may be applicable to your specific case.
You can also expect to learn about the cost and payment of your legal services. Beyond the consultation, we work with our clients on a contingency fee basis, which means that our firm is only paid if and when we collect on your behalf. During your consultation, we’ll talk more about the contingency fee, and how costs are accrued and eventually paid.
And of course, you’ll have an opportunity to ask any questions you may have. We want you to understand what you can expect as a client and what we will be doing to prosecute your case.
5. Meet with an attorney: It is important to us that you receive the time and attention you deserve. That’s why you’ll always meet with an attorney from our firm during your consultation. There may be a legal assistant or paralegal present, but an attorney will address your concerns.
We understand how confusing and overwhelming hiring a lawyer can be, especially in situations where someone has been hurt. If you, or a loved one, have been injured, please contact us here at Siniard, Timberlake, & League. We can help.